Friday, June 22, 2012

Movie Magic

If you still believe that a movie's success is based on how well it was made, cast, directed, produced, or any other measurement, you might want to reevaluate your current thought process. Granted, some of those things can really make a difference. However, it is no longer about how good the movie actually is.

It has gotten worse over time, but this trend of movie marketing equaling blockbuster success is one that is boiling my veins this week. Although there are many examples of terrible movies being successful in ticket sales, due to successful marketing campaigns, one in particular has stood out so much, that I thought I should write about it. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.


Are you serious? This is actually real, and by the looks of Twitter and Facebook, it is going to be seen on a mass scale. It's cheesy. It's disgraceful. This is a man who was an integral part of abolishing slavery, and we are abusing his legacy to sell movie tickets? The thing that kills me the most is that people are actually going to see it, have their friends see it, and perpetuate the success of awful movies at the box office.


How are people okay with this? I wish people realized how much they are being manipulated by marketing. This movie has an awful premise, a seemingly awful plot, and an extremely cliche style of filming. If you fell for it, I don't mean to insult. I just hope you see what I see in this film. It is a garbage film, with great advertising, nothing more.

Shame on you Fox, as if you could feel shame in the first place. The entirety of this whole project from conception, through marketing, and on to the movie hitting theaters, is trash, in my most humble of opinion.

Trash indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment