Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Dissatisfaction of Marketing Overkill

Here's the deal, I have been very excited to see the new movie Ted. I'm a huge fan of almost everything Seth Macfarlane does. However, when I watched all of the trailors for the movie, on YouTube, I set myself up for what would become, The Dissatisfaction of Marketing Overkill.

I'm going to show you several different trailers and TV spots. It comes with a language disclaimer. So, please excuse the language, even though it is a huge part of the movie. I'm using them to show how much of the movie is in the plethora of trailers. I saw the movie last night, and was so informed about the movie, through the trailers, that I barely laughed at, what would've been, the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. They will overlap a few times, but trust me, a fair chunk of the movie is in these trailers.

So without further haberdashery, and with a serious spoiler alert, comes the evidence:

 




 

Again, I apologize for the language and I could have included more, but the language is pretty fierce. So, I kept it to two. Anyway, the point is, after seeing the movie, I realized I had already seen it, in bits and pieces. The trailers give you the picture of the whole puzzle, and most of the pieces. The movie is just the rest of the pieces. I know we have reached the next generation of movie marketing, but come on. I was excited about it last year. You don't have to use my excitement against me and spoil the whole movie!

Overall, Ted is a great movie. It is hilarious, but the YouTube marketing technique has had its darker side exposed here. To put it plainly, it was overkill. I would have really loved the movie, if I hadn't already seen it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment